Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"REPENT, MECHANICS!" said the Drummerman.

Ah yes, this is it. TMU is back at it...Every semester, we go through the same gentle chaos, in which we found out who is back, and who is gone and who is new. While I always have plans for the semester's program, those first few rehearsals are as much about discovery and improvisation as they are planned. Last night's rehearsal was the hurdle. Excellent work all! TMU is back at it, baby, new for 2006.

First, all props to our newest Mechanics, Wayne Farley and Jared McGuire. Welcome, gentlemen, we are very glad you've joined us.

PROGRAM
For May 4, our concert program is as follows:
Rumbas: yambu, guaguanco, columbia
Unknown Rhythmic Composition
Tahitian beats
"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman

We may add another work, but I want everything to be tight, and of course, the "big thing" needs it's due. Our rehearsals over the next couple of weeks will be a mix and match of all the material; once these things are more firmly in hand, we have more concetrated rehearsals on individual works. See this space for the weekly "Drumming Notes," and notices of the next rehearsal (as below!).

MOVIE NIGHT
It is still my intent to do Prince Achmed as a finals-week entertainment. Since this is 90% improv, we will hold off some weeks before we get into it.

REPENT! (a minor manifesto)
I am well and truly chuffed after last night's read of this work. As noted above, I'm always diving into the deep end, especially with my own works, at the start of any semester. I am moved to say TMU has never let me down. I'm very excited about the possibilites of this piece, and think it can become another showcase for the ensemble, alongside MIGRATIONS.

My role model as a composer and ensemble director is Harry Partch. He had a unique vision of performance that was at once very primal and deeply rooted, and at the same time truly innovative and artisically brave. Best known for his new instruments and working with just intonation, it is his philosophy of performance that influences me the most. Partch looked back to the ancients, and to what he referred to as "primitive man," and noted that music, dance, poetry, drama and literature were all one for the ancients, a seamless multimedia whole that makes for a meaningful event in human life. This as opposed to the singular, often sterile "concerts" and "recitals" in the "classical" academic sense.

Before TMU first formed, long before, I've wanted to follow in Partch's considerable footsteps. Bringing together these performance elements, adding the visual arts and electronica is the goal. Some call this kind of thing percussion theatre, and I suppose I like that turn of phrase. Todd Harper's MIGRATIONS was a perfect debut, a righteous first step in that direction. Without losing touch with the traditional rhythms and grooves, it is my artistic (thus, social) goal to see Temporal Mechanics Union an innovating force in percussion theatre.

None of it, not any of this could be possible with out the Mechanics past and present, and without those who have sat in audience. My heartfelt thanks to you all, for all your contributions.

A Bit of News
Heard the other day that Kim Garey, who graciously provided the marimba for MIGRATIONS, is making her way to NYC to make her mark as a jazz drummer. She's a hell of a player, and I'm sure the mark she makes will be considerable. All the Mechanics wish her the very best.

SO Percussion Ensemble
In concert, Tuesday, Feb 21, 7 PM at OKC Community College. Next rehearsal, we'll talk out the who-what-when-wheres.

Next Rehearsal
Like unto Gaul, next rehearsal shall in three parts be divided:
4:30 - 5: Rumbas
5 - 5:30: Tahitian beats
5:30 - 6: Mike, Mark, Bryan, Jared--"Harlequin" theme

See you next Tuesday!

1 comment:

Jared McGuire said...

Thank you for welcoming me so openly. I've never really played any instrument before, save a few sad years of lessons on a piano.

I've always wanted to try percussion, but I confess I've always been a little too scared.

I also apologize for missing rehearsal yesterday because of Valengrams. I was wondering if there was a time I could get together with the folks with whom I was supposed to practice.

I've only been to two rehearsals, but so far I've had the time of my life. Thanks again for the invite and I'm looking forward to further rehearsals.